Friday, September 07, 2007

09 07 97


It seems remiss to let this day go by without some kind of blogging words. Today is our 10th Anniversary. Hubby has made plans for us to go out tonight to the Cirque du Soleil show Kooza and out for dinner and the kids are going to Yia Yia's for the night. I actually begged out of (yes, I know I am stupid) the overnight hotel stay, but I am just not up to it tonight. An empty house will be enough, I'm sure for any evening festivities.

I can't say I never thought we would make it here, but still it seems like such an accomplishment. We are both incredibly stubborn sometimes and while I generally back away from conflict, I have gotten pretty comfortable these last 10 years speaking up and loud. It is certainly not all a sitcom around here, well maybe a bit like Seinfeld...you know lots about nothing really; but it is real. This is real life. Kids who are sorta good and sometimes sorta bad and the living breathing incarnation of both of you. They infuriate you and reduce you to tears and you would still jump in front of a bus for them. They are the tangible proof that you, as a couple, really exist. There is no denying the relationship.

It goes without saying that I love my husband. He is my friend and supporter and knows me as well as I know myself. Our time together is approaching fifteen years this fall and at the age of 36 that seems like a lot of years. A lot of memories, a lot of highs and lows and everything in between. I cannot imagine spending my life and sharing my life with anyone else.

It is not all sunshine and rainbows though. It is more like barf and poop and baby wipes most days. I come from a divorced family and no matter how ticked I am it just isn't an option for me to give up, ever. We are in this for the long haul no matter what. We make stupid idle threats sometimes in our most simmering moments, but even those are pretty hollow.

Happy Anniversary Hubby...I know you sneak peeks here! I am a lucky woman and I know it.

5 comments:

Melanie D. said...

Awwww...I think real life is sweeter than glossing it over any day. You've got it ALL right. Congrats to you and your hubs.

Beck said...

Marriage is both SO annoying and SO wonderful - congratulations!

Christine said...

happy anniversary! and i remembered because mine is next week and i think we talked about this once.

and this: "They are the tangible proof that you, as a couple really exist. There is no denying the relationship." This is the best line. love it.

OhTheJoys said...

Happy Anniversary - here's wishing you a lot of sunshine and rainbow days this year.

N. said...

Happy belated congrats. I knew from the get-go that OmegaMan and I were long-haulers, and yet like you I am so damn proud that we've been together 10 years. I'm so surprised (and saddened) when people tell me about being in the middle of their vows and knowing it wouldn't last.